Carolyn Sparano, general manager of Bronto Software, won Gold for Female Executive of the Year in the 13th annual Stevie® Awards for Women in Business. Recognized for her exemplary leadership throughout a changing of the guard at Bronto and an unwavering dedication and vision for the company’s continued success, Sparano has launched the next phase in Bronto’s history.
“The past 10 years with Bronto have been an incredible journey. I was honored to be named the first General Manager of Bronto, but never imagined I’d also be recognized as Female Executive of the Year by the Stevie Awards,” Sparano said. “This recognition is a testament to Bronto’s bright and dedicated employees. I look forward to working beside them as we continue this exciting chapter in Bronto’s journey.”
The Stevie Awards for Women in Business are the world’s top honors for female entrepreneurs, executives, employees and the organizations they run. It is a highly competitive program, and this year, judges reviewed more than 1,400 entries from organizations and individuals around the world.
With offices in New York, London, Sydney, Toronto and Durham, NC, Bronto has experienced significant changes over the past year – from finalizing the acquisition by NetSuite to bidding farewell to founders Joe Colopy and Chaz Felix. From the minute she was chosen as the General Manager, Sparano jumped into her new responsibilities, guiding Bronto and its customers to unparalleled success, including:
- Quickly learning the complexities of the engineering and marketing lines of Bronto’s business to assume responsibility and management.
- Maintaining traditions that worked well, such as the all-hands quarterly meeting, where Bronto team members meet to learn and discuss company updates and future plans.
- Helping kick off the Women in NetSuite (WIN) chapters in the UK and US, gathering men and women alike in support of female leadership within the company.
- Initiating Bronto’s Chat & Chew sessions, which bring together employees from different departments for lunch with Sparano.
- Ensuring a seamless post-acquisition transition for Bronto and NetSuite offices in New York, London and Sydney.
Award entrants are subjected to two rounds of judging – initial selects are decided by the average scores of more than 120 first-round judges. According to the Stevie website, “finalist nominations were then reviewed and rated again by the more than 40 members of five specialized final-judging committees.” During that round, entrants’ average scores determined the Gold, Silver and Bronze Stevie Award placements.
One judge’s comments captured the essence of Sparano’s success. The judge remarked, “Successfully managing a transition that involves the exit of the organization founders, in particular when a buyout brings in a new corporate entity that has its own culture, management style and values, is no small achievement, and Ms. Sparano has handled it extraordinarily well. Gaining the confidence of both the parent company executives and the current employees of ‘her’ organization is paramount, and Ms. Sparano skillfully bridged the potential divide. All the while, she kept her eyes on business performance to bring Bronto to the #1 spot as email marketer to the Top 1000 retailers.”
To learn more about Sparano, her team and the Bronto Marketing Platform, visit bronto.com.